Opening Scripture: I Timothy4:13-15
Spiritual Growth Challenge:
Spiritual Growth - The Word, Worship, Prayer, Living Generously
As we are in the season of"Thanksgiving," I believe there is not a better way to give thanks than to celebrate (give praise) for all God has done.
· When we broke ground 2 weeks ago, it was aCelebrate Service to Give Thanks.
· Last week John James came, and we got toCelebrate the endurance that God has given us the past 22 years as we “Just Keep Going.”
· Today we want to Celebrate some of the many victories God has given us in our 4 Pillars: The Word, Worship, Prayer, Living Generously.
Play Next Gen Video
How do you get to “Celebrate” in your life? We must have intentionality for “Celebrate” to be a “Reality.”
I Timothy 4:13-15 “13 UntilI come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. 14 Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. 15 Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that all may see your progress.”
F I x COT = MOMENTUM
Focused Intensity X Consistency (Over Time) = Momentum
If you want to see your Faith become a Reality, you must apply this formula.
Paul told Timothy:
· to the public reading of Scripture
· to exhortation
· to teaching (Master’s Classes)
Do not neglect:
· the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. (Next Steps)
· Practice these things
· immerse yourself in them
· so that all may see your progress
II Timothy 1:5-7 “5 I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well. 6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, 7 for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.”
“I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God,”
anadzoopureo - fan into flame
· ana - repeating an earlier action or doing something again
· zoo - zoos is from zao, meaning to be enthusiastic, fervent, passionate, vigorous, wholehearted, and zealous
· pur - fire
Why would Paul use this analogy to Timothy? Because in Classical Greek culture of the day and writing, Fire was not just to keep warm, but a life-giving force.
“which is in you through the laying on of my hands,” this is referring to I Timothy 4:13-15
“for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.”
The answer for you to step out of fear (which is a demonic spirit), step into power, live in love, and exhibit self-control is to anadzoopureo, fan into flame the gift inside you.
So here is what we are going to do. Our Elder Team will be on one side, and if you desireGod to show you the Gifts and Callings in your life, we want to lay hands on you and pray for you.
If you beat, spent, blah, needing a fresh stirring of the fire of God, an anadzoopureo, in your life, come to the staff on the other side.
If you needChrist come to anyone of us. We are happy to lead you in a prayer that is the true meaning of Celebrate.